And now a word about condoms

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Ok, ok, here I go talking about sex again. Big deal. Sue me.

I recall not long ago that I was totally and utterly against condom use. No, it wasn't because I didn't consider them good contraceptives and excellent at preventing sexually transmitted diseases... more because of what they meant and symbolized. To me, using a condom meant that you had no idea where your partner had been (or with whom) and that you didn't trust him/her.

Nuff said, right? Wrong.

After some maturing and reflection, I realized that eventually people rack up a sexual history, inevitably. You absolutely cannot keep track of everyone any of your potential partners has been with. So it's impractical (and stupid) to judge someone because you don't know their sexual history in detail. An alternative is to go to get tested for everything with your partner. This seems like a good idea, if somewhat impractical; but there's one big, no HUGE, drawback: testing negative for HIV can only tell you that a person was not infected 3 months ago... and says nothing about now. So the most reasonable thing is to use condoms

Second, I came to terms with just how horny I (and a great many other people) can be. I mean it's a rather strong urge. "Monstrous appetite", I once called it. Yes, this is a fact of life. The more experienced with sex you become, the less you wait until you do it with a new partner. That's just the way it is. Thinking about it differently will only set you up for not using condoms and doing something stupid. Regardless of your sexual orientation.

I hereby absolve condoms from social stigma and shame. May they be as normal and common as balloons. Only smaller and shinier. Haha!

1 Comments:

  • At February 14, 2005 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another good reason for gay men to use condoms is santorum. That shit (no pun intended) is nasty, dude... I'd much rather have it on a condom than on my dick.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home