Job

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Ok, let me talk about my new job. I'm working for a touristy web site. It's part travel agency, part information provider. They concept isn't very revolutionary, but the operations manager (my direct boss) has some pretty neat ideas about where he wants the site to go. So this seems fun.

I've been doing stuff I never got to do before. I setup some database and web servers, I'm planning system architecture, making site-wide UI and functionality decisions... it's neat, if a bit stressful. The challenge is what drives me.

Actually, this is the first time I've been employed (legally) by a small company. There are only about 50 employees total here. I've usually been associated with multi-national conglomerates. It's not necessarily been by choice, more by fortune. But that's how it's been. It felt a little weird taking this job for that matter (my parents were sure a little wary... and communicated that feeling often, sheesh). They pitched in for my flight and a month's rent, which was sweet. The advantage of a small place like this is that anything you do has a very good chance of affecting the company as a whole. This is also a downside. Yikes. Wish me luck, I hope I don't break anything.

Where will this road take me? Do I want to go there? What about the detours I see ahead? I'll talk about those later.

3 Comments:

  • At March 06, 2005 4:38 PM, Blogger psesito said…

    Weird, but I've never worked in a large company. In college I had three jobs. The three of them had less than 20 persons. Now, I'm working in a medium size company (less than 200)

    Changes are always a learning experience. I'm sure that you will brake something, so don't worry about it... it will happen, the question is how soon?

     
  • At March 06, 2005 8:45 PM, Blogger DramaKing said…

    How soon would be too soon?

     
  • At March 09, 2005 1:28 PM, Blogger SJES said…

    My first job was at a very small company...50 employees, maybe less. My second job was in a bigger company..150 employees (I was actually number 126). But then it grew. And grew. And grew. When I left, we were more than 600 consultants...Now? Mmhh, the department in which I work has +600 employees. God. I'm no one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home