To flare or not to flare?

Monday, March 14, 2005

I LOVE flared jeans (i.e. bell-bottom like jeans, just not so exaggerated). They're just sooooo cool. They have a neat retro-comfortable-easy-going feel to them, and look great. Sadly, the options available for guys are quite limited.

Something many fashion conscious guys (i.e. gay guys and "metrosexuals"...sheesh) have resorted to buying women's jeans to quench their thirst for the flare. WOMEN's jeans?!?!?! Yikes, isn't this like drag? I guess it is... in a way. Even though it completely misses the whole point of drag which is to look like a woman. I think men's and women’s jeans have become more and more alike (ok, maybe only in the flared category, but still...).

I was once at Old Navy and I asked for some flared jeans. I was told that the boot-fit jeans had a slight flare (so the boot could fit, duh), but that I should definitely try the women's section. The girl told me that plenty of her STRAIGHT male pals did it. I have to admit I was surprised and embarrassed by the mere notion of going to the women's section to buy clothes.

My utter disgust with having to buy women's clothes surprised me. I've always been quite against discriminating the genders. Still, I'm working against nearly two decades of conditioning.

Why the hell wouldn't I buy women's jeans? I mean as long as they fit me well and look like I want them to look. (YIKES! What am I saying?!?!?!?).... ok, ok... I think I need to think about this a little more...

...and I thought I was so liberal and free... what a crock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home