Let's do the Time Warp... again!

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Last week I went with my boss and his gf to see a local production of "The Rocky Horror Show" (it's not "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" because that would be the movie, duh, haha).

Anyways, let me make reference to the film first. I saw this flick for the first time a couple of years ago at a bf's house. I'll admit that since we were making out most of the time, I didn't really pay that much attention, haha; but still, I managed to realize that the film didn't have much of a plot to begin with. And what it did have for a story was so bizarre and ridiculous, it was almost good, haha. It's about a young, innocent, pure and newly engaged couple who stumble upon a Castle with a mad scientist... who happens to be a flamboyant cross-dresser. Anyways, this scientist (Dr. Frank -n-furter, btw, haha) is building a creature... who is a handsome muscle man... who he intends to marry. Yikes, this gets better by the second. At the end, the young couple is deflowered, there are aliens and a lot of signing and dancing (yes, obviously it's a musical, couldn't you tell? haha).

When the original Broadway production premiered in the seventies, it was a flop. But when the movie was released... it was a flop as well, haha. But only later did it achieve cult status. There was an elaborate ritual built around screening the movie at midnight and having actors play along in front of the screen. There are even extra lines you have to say and props you use. It's quite cool... and creepy. Anyways, I was intrigued about seeing it live.

The local production was not one of those midnight ritual things. It was a "straight" laced production of the show. The lights went out and up came the music. I was a little bummed that they lip synched the musical numbers. But I mean c'mon, what were you expecting for $100 pesos? (About $9 USD), haha.

But to my complete surprise the first few notes were sung by a familiar voice. "Could it be Daphne Rubin Vega?!?!?" (of Rent fame), I thought. Yes, it was! They were using the recent Broadway revival recording with some of my favorite artists!!! WOW! I had never heard this recording, so this was a really special treat. You know, after seeing this and hearing that recording, I sort of regretted not seeing this show in NYC when I had the chance... oh well. Hey, at $100 USD a pop, you have to be picky, haha.

Anyways, the show is quite bizarre, it unsettles me a little to this very day. The movie by itself isn't very effective. It's just plain weird. I totally recommend catching it live. It has so much more energy and it just comes alive in front of your eyes. Like one reviewer put it: "It's so much more than the sum of its parts", haha. The songs are great fun, and some of them are genuinely good and catchy. My favorites are "Over at the Frankenstein place", "Sweet Transvestite" (a really good song!), "I can make you a man", "Floor show" and "Time Warp" (this song is what we Mexicans know as "Baile del Sapo" by Timbiriche...hahaha, now we know where they got some of their source material... ytikes! haha). Alice Ripley, one of my favorite musical theater actresses, is a standout in the role created by Susan Sarandon in the film (really! haha).

All in all, The Rocky Horror Show is a spellbinding crash course in open-mindedness and vulgarity, haha. Enjoy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home