Guilty pleasures

Monday, May 09, 2005

No, this isn't my sex post... yet, haha. I was remembering some really bad flicks that are among my all time favorite movies, haha. Here goes:

Death becomes her
Ok, one of my old axioms was that director Robert Zemeckis could do no wrong (Back to the future, Roger Rabbit, Forrest Gump, What lies beneath, Contact, Cast Away, etc). Then I saw "Death becomes her". Yikes. In spite of starring Academy Awards winners Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn (and an unrecognizable Bruce Willis), this movie sucked big time. And I LOVED it!!! I dunno, maybe it's the neat special FX, maybe it's the black humor. I'm still not quite sure why I like this flick... I just do! haha.

Mannequin
OMG, this movie is SOOOO bad, haha. I saw it as a kid and LOVED it. I taped it on cable and saw it endless times, I thought it was so cool. The opening sequence and the song they play at the end are awesome (and the latter was Oscar nominated). I saw it again about 3 or 4 years ago and was aghast at how crappy the movie really is. Yikes. I mean it's vulgar, lame-o, un-funny and toys around will gay stereotypes. Still, I dunno, I kinda bought into its charms. Very guilty indeed.

Willow
Somewhat forgotten adventure semi-epic. This film is quite a good time. The effects where pretty cool back in the day. They must seem awfully shitty post-Jurassic-Park and stuff. I still remember it being funny and dramatic and all that. I think seeing it again would change that, haha.

Muppet Movie(s)
I'm referring to the ones made in the 80's. Ok, they're silly, their childish, they have lame plots and sometimes pitiful production values. Still, I LOVE everything Muppet. Sue me. I especially liked the one where the super model frame Ms. Piggy for stealing some baseball diamond thing. Priceless.

Who framed Roger Rabbit
This is actually a good movie, methinks. It's just that I feel a little silly putting it up as a fave, haha. I didn't even know it was Kathleen Turner doing Jessica Rabbit's voice until years later. A very funny and entertaining old fashioned caper film. With lots of cartoons and stuff, haha. I remember watching the "Making of" countless times on the Disney channel when I was a kid... aww, the memories.

4 Comments:

  • At May 10, 2005 10:10 AM, Blogger psesito said…

    Oh, I remember Mannequin! I also watched it countless times, but my all-time favorite and I think does not belong to the category because I think is very good is BIG, with Tom Hanks.

    Zoltar says "your wish is granted".

     
  • At May 10, 2005 11:45 AM, Blogger DramaKing said…

    I know, "Big" is actually a good movie. Tom Hanks even received an Oscar nomination for that role (weird, huh?).

    Another guilty pleasure, the He-man movie, Masters of the Universe. OMG, it was sooooooooooo bad, hahaha. And it had Courtney Cox (pre-friends), give me a break!!! And for some reason I watch it every time it's on TV, WTF! Hahaha.

     
  • At May 10, 2005 12:19 PM, Blogger SJES said…

    I think neither WFRR nor BIG belong to this list.

    I'm not sure you saw this..but I would include The Goonies in your list. That's a movie soooo bad it's actually very good.

    Mmhh....Or what about "Over the top", with Sly Stallone? It's the one where he drives a truck and enters an arm-wrestling contest. God. That was awful....but funny.

    Or Rocky 4? SS vs Dolph Laundren???? I actually enjoyed that movie, you know. :s

    Mmhh what else? Yes...Mannequin was a hit big time also for me. And every time I hear "nothing's gonna stop us now" on the radio makes me remember the movie.

     
  • At May 10, 2005 1:30 PM, Blogger DramaKing said…

    Oh man, "The Goonies" was sooooo bad.. it was good! Hahaha. It was quite enjoyable and very fun. Definitely a guilty pleasure.

    I don't think any Stallone movies are on my Guilty Pleasures list. Yuck. Although I do remember Rocky 4 a lot, for some reason.

    I know WFRR is actually a good movie (like I mentioned), but for some reason whenever I brought it up as one of my favorite movies, everybody laughed at me, sniff, sniff... :-(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home