Religious intolerance

Saturday, August 13, 2005

I’ll be honest about it. It is not atheists who get struck in my craw, but agnostics. Doubt is useful for a while. We must all pass through the garden of Gethsemane. If Christ played with doubt, so must we. If Christ spent an anguished night in prayer, if He burst out from the cross, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” then surely we are also permitted doubt. But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

-Yann Martel, Life of Pi


This is a quote the main character gives in the book I'm reading right now. You know, I could never quite summon up the exact words why agnostics never really registered with me; but after I read this passage, I finally saw my exact feelings on paper. Wow. It's a neat book, I'm only half-way through, but it's quite the interesting reflection-filled story and a harrowing tale.

The very first time I found out what an agnostic was I was in MTY and I also found out some of my friends were this strange non-religion (you know who you are... PSESITO! Haha). I found it a peculiar choice, and more like a non-choice of sorts. I've realized that the confusion they caused me was not really curiosity and awe; it turned out to be intolerance. So, in all honesty, I will from now on persecute agnostics and discriminate against them for not sharing my religious beliefs. What exactly are my beliefs? Good question. But a complicated one I will have to answer in a future post. In the meantime, I'll be busy harassing and bullying agnostics...

2 Comments:

  • At August 14, 2005 1:46 AM, Blogger psesito said…

    I wont take the time to go over an endless conversation... but

    "To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation." I see it in a different way.

    I am moving, but I don't know the end of the road. I don't want to pretend that I know it when I don't -- as most people do.

    I cannot cheat myself.

    If someone is telling me that I will end up somewhere but s/he cannot prove it, I will keep on going and take the information with me, it could help later. If I see signs or if I find a map, I will get them. Neverhteless, in this moment I don't have enough information.

    Maybe for me it is not intuitive to be so sure about the end of the road, but definetely I choose to enjoy the trip. That was my decision. Others will prefer to know the end of the road, but for me it is not that important.

     
  • At August 14, 2005 11:17 AM, Blogger DramaKing said…

    Ok. It's nice you've chosen to at least enjoy the trip... you HEDONIST!

    Your agnostic opinion is quite cute and entertaining, and could even be interpreted as eloquent and reasonable.... but it holds no value whatsoever in this anti-agnostic forum.

    Germy has spoken!

    >=P

    -Germy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home