Tower of Babble

Monday, January 23, 2006

In the opening number of Godspell (Prologue: Tower of Babble), many philosophers from history (Socrates, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, Leonardo DaVinci, Frederic Nietzsche, Jean Paul Sartre, etc.) all comment on human nature and religion... it's quite a lof of information to take in in a single song, so it makes for a spellbinding experience.

(SPOKEN)
I honor and love you,
but I shall obey God rather than you
and while I have life and strength
I shall never cease from the practice
and teaching of philosophy...
(SUNG)
Wherefore, O men of Athens,
I say to you:
Therefore, acquit me or not
But whichever you do
I shall never alter my ways
Never adjust my approach to this maze
Never reform til the end of my days
Even if I
have to die
many times
.

-Socrates, as played by a girl
Prologue (Tower of Babble) from Godspell

Man is a complex of patterns, of processes...
I live on Earth at present,
and I don't know what I am.
I know that I am not a category
I am not a thing - a noun
I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process-
An integral function of the universe.
-Buckminster Fuller
Prologue (Tower of Babble)
from Godspell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home