Who should be nominated!

Monday, January 30, 2006

Before they announce tomorrow’s nominations for the Academy Awards, I want to express who I believe should be nominated (even if they don’t stand a chance)…

I hope Heath Ledger gets nominated for Best Actor for Brokeback Mountain (his chances seem good), but I sincerely hope the Academy realizes that Jake Gyllenhaal has been grossly overlooked in awards season, and I hope he gets a Supporting Actor nod. Granted, I haven’t seen the flick, but still, I’m sure he gave a wonderful performance and that there’s lots of gratuitous nudity on his part in the film, haha. It just sucks to have been in Proof, Jarhead and Brokeback Mountain, and not get a single fucking Oscar nomination (or any nomination for that matter). What a crock.

I also hope The Producers gets a Best Picture nod (long shot), and maybe even Rent (REALLY long near-impossible long shot). I haven’t seen either of them, but I just hope the current musical movie momentum doesn’t wan after this somewhat lackluster musical year. We can all hope and pray for Dreamgirls, I suppose.

I hope Gwyneth Paltrow gets nominated as Best Actress for Proof (she got a Golden Globe nod), and also that even Anthony Hopkins gets a Supporting Actor nod for the same film… or maybe even Jake Gyllenhaal! I dunno, but I think this was a great play and even though I haven’t seen the movie, I’d love for it to be recognized in SOME way.

I didn’t see the movie Crash either (yeah, I know, busy year for me at the movies), but it at least looked interesting, which is more than I can say for most of the other flicks. I hope Rachel Weisz gets an Oscar nod for the Constant Gardner, just because I think she’s incredibly beautiful (sorry, I didn’t see that movie either).

I hope Sin City is recognized in at least some capacity at the Oscars (YES! Isis see this one). Any nomination, other than technical nods, would be great. A Best Director nomination for Rodriguez, a Best Adapted Screenplay, and maybe even, GASP!, a Best Picture nod for such a daring and completely different approach to modern movie-making would be awesome. But somehow I feel it’ll go the way of Kill Bill vol.1 and vol.2, a neat movie that never got it’s deserved praise (or awards) for it’s incredible creativity and coolness. Oh well, one can only hope.

Will Germy’s hopes and prayers (for Jake Gyllenhaal) be answered??? We’ll have to wait and see…

4 Comments:

  • At January 30, 2006 6:19 PM, Blogger SJES said…

    So...exactly, which movies did you see last year?

     
  • At January 31, 2006 9:09 PM, Blogger psesito said…

    I know Germy, you are totally out.

    Is Titanic the new sensation in Vallarta or what?

    In any case, Jake Gyllenhaal got his nomination; maybe your words were heard from heaven (or you have readers from the Academy)

    I watched Capote and Brokeback Mountain, and I know Philip Seymour Hoffman was great (I've never seen the real Capote, but all the reviews emphasize that he personifies him), but Heath Ledger is incredible. His gestures, reactions, movements… he can express with one glance what a complete chapter cannot accomplish. He looks more authentic than so many people I know.

    It will be very early on his career to get such a high prize, but age and past works should not matter, but for the Oscars, they do.

     
  • At February 01, 2006 9:23 AM, Blogger DramaKing said…

    Arrggghhh! I live in a small beach town, rub it in, will ya...

    Anyhoo, I'm so glad that both Crash and Jake got their well deserved nods. Maybe somebody up there did har me (I doubt it was an Academy member, they sent in their ballots a few weeks ago, haha).

    And hello, past experience is totally NOT a prerequisite to win an Oscar. How did Adrien Brody or Charlize Theron or Hallie berry win? Previous to their Oscar wins (in the Lead Acting categories, no less), they had been associated with trivial and often poorly received films. I think past experience has little to do with it (there are also plenty of people who have won in their movie debut's! Ha! Anna Paquin, Barbra Streisand and Marlee Matlin come to mind...). What matters most is the buzz behind your work. By buzz I mean the publicity campaign mounted by yuor studio to promote your nomination. How else can you explain the fact that Lauran Baccall (movie legend) did not win an Oscar when nominated a few years ago for The Mirror has Two faces?

    Buzz, not experience, is what wins you an Oscar. 'Nuff said.

     
  • At February 01, 2006 4:13 PM, Blogger psesito said…

    I do not completely agree. But, what it is true is that the publicity campaign is very important.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home