Drama, drama

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Being back home is always elightening. Waking up late and eating a whole bunch is always great. I have a lot of time to think and reflect. Which is usually good. Usually.

I went to the library and got a whole bunch of books. I LOVE the San Diego Public Library system. And I love the San Diego State University Library even MORE. They're responsible for a great part of my education. In fact, I love the whole concept of libraries. I mean there you have them, thousans upon thousands of books... FOR FREE! What an amazing concept. Add to that dozens of original broadway cast album CD's! WOW! Education and culture for the masses. And all you need is a fucking library card. Cool.

Anyways, I went and took out a whole bunch of plays. I love reading drama and trying to imagine what a production would be like. In my training to become a brilliant playwright, Edward Albee advised I should just plain read more drama. So I am. It's quite wonderful to read a good play. Seeing one is even better. There is nothing quite like taking in a live show. Performing arts, when done well, are electric, magical, astonishing. Which is how I felt last week.

I saw a play called The Pillowman. It's by Martin McDonagh. I can't even begin to describe how amazingly macabre, horrifying and disturbing this play was. I absolutely LOVED it. This is what great drama can be. Imaginative, crazy, wreckleslly creative, shocking, ugly, beautiful, tender and ferocious. I sincerely wish I could write shit this good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home