Movies, movies

Monday, April 24, 2006

Saw two very different flicks this weekend. Here are some thoughts.

First, I saw Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Yes, I missed this while it was in theaters, and I'm probably the only person in North America who has not seen it by now. And with everyone telling me it was by far the best of the last three flicks, I was a little sorry I missed it. Well, after seeing it, that sorrow faded away. Mind you, I saw it in a pirated DVD copy my cousin lent me, so I probably missed most of the production values, which were probably the stronger points of the film (even though they weren't even good enough to warrant an Oscar nod, ouch). The story is actually interesting, sort of. SPOILER: Basically, Annakin becomes Darth Vader because he's afraid that his wife will die in child birth. Ok, sort of convincing. Sorta. It's completely spoiled by that Annakin guy's complete lack of talent (who the hell hired him? tell me George Lucas is really gay and thought he was hot, PLEASE!... btw, he is hot). But in all honesty, during the scenes when they're killing off all of the Jedi knights, I for once felt a small tingle of emotion, something that had eluded me during the entire first two films (other than boredom). Natalie Portman is fine, but sans great costumes and hair do's, I almost forgot she was in the movie. In fact, I forgot most of it about am hour later. Not a worthy prequel to any of the classic Star Wards flicks.

What if I told you there was a movie with Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, Marlene Dietrich, Maximilian Schell, Judy Garland, Montgomery Clift... and even William Shatner! "No way!" you say? Well, there is, and it's called Judgment at Nuremberg. It's a pretty good movie. It's about some of the war crimes tribunals held after WWII in Germany to try old Nazi party members. It's quite interesting how they analyze what guilt and innocence really mean, and how really nobody could ever have imagined the attrocities and horrors that Hitler and the war would bring (or could they have???). The performances by Tracy (Oscar nominated), Garland (Oscar nominated), Schell (Oscar winner), and Clift are especially worhwhile. A great classic flick. Yes, it clocks in at 3 hrs, but even if it's a little slow at times, it's a wonderful movie. And who knew William Shatner was so damn hot when he was younger? (It's just something about a man in uniform that makes get all... nasty).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home